McGraw Elementary Physical Education
Teacher: Corey Wilson
BSED Physical Education Suny Cortland
MSED Adapted Physical Education Suny Cortland
McGraw Elementary Physical Education Philosophy
The physical education program at McGraw Elementary gives each student the opportunity to develop motor, social, and cooperation skills. Students will learn through a progressive curriculum that emphasizes on a skill theme approach along with lifetime activities. My goal as the teacher is to make physical education class fun, rewarding, and educational. Each student will understand the importance of maintaing a healthy lifestyle using the components of fitness which will be incoroporated daily. Also students, will be encouraged to participate in after school activies utlitzing the resources in the community and surrounding areas. The program will focus on team sports, outdoor pursuits, character education team building, recreational activities, and lifetime fitness.
The Importance of Physical Education
Children and adolescents should get at least 1 hour or more a day of physical activity in age-appropriate activities, spending most of that engaged in moderate-or vigorous-intense aerobic activities. Moderate-or vigourous-intense activities will usually best be achieved through organized sport related activies or fitness facilities. I strongly believe students benefit from physical activitiy when family member participate also. Students develop a nurturing bond with siblings and parents and also learn the importance of values. Why is movement so important for your child?
1. Develops cardiovascular, respiratory and health through vigorous activities.
2. Contributes to overall physical and emotional health of children.
3. Promotes the dvelopment of social skills through communication, responsible behavior and self-esteem.
4. Promotes socially acceptable behavior, cooperation, and development of teamwork through movement activities.
5. Develops rhythmic coordination through gymnastics and dance.
6. Stimulates their brain and increases their level of focus.
7. Helps combat against obestity, heart disease, cancer, diabetes and other major health related injuries.